SilybumMarianum (Milk Thistle standardized to 80% silymarin)
- Used medicinally for over 2,000 years, Milk thistle has been
reported to protect the liver, aids in regeneration of liver cells,
and greatly improves liver function.
- Blood glucose spike after a meal was lowered by 37% versus a
19% rise in the placebo group indicating that Milk Thistle helps
control and regulate blood sugar.
- *Promotes weight loss by helping body burn fat and controlling
*Hussain SA. "Silymarin as an adjunct to glibenclamide therapy improves long-term and postprandial glycemic control and body mass index in type 2 diabetes." J Med Food 2007; 10(3): 543-547
Selenium: (Organically bound patented form: SelenoExcell)
- Patented form of organically bound Selenium
- Supports weight loss by helping the liver to deal with fats in the body and then export them via the bile for elimination.
- *Total Cancer Deaths decreased 50% in patients suffering from lung, colon and prostate cancer.
- *Total Cancer Incidence decreased 37%.
- *Promotes weight loss because Selenium is a mineral vital for the conversion of the thyroid hormone T4 to its active form T3. It will therefore help those with weight problems due to an under-active thyroid gland or thyroid resistance.
*Clark LC, et al., "Effects of selenium supplementation for cancer prevention in patients with carcinoma of the skin," The Journal of the American Medical Association, December 25, 1996; Vol. 276, No. 24:
*Berry M, et al., "Type 1 iodothyroninedeiodinase is a selenocysteine-containing enzyme," Nature, January 1991;349: 438-440
Turmeric (Standardized to 95% Curcumin)
- Recognized as a fountain of youth "superspice" with near-miraculous potential in modern medicine.
- *In animal studies has been shown to boost basal metabolism
- *Can help metabolize fats leading to lower triglycerides
- Potent Anti-oxidant known to influence over 586 diseases
- *In clinical studies, it is shown to protect against toxic liver injury which may help aid in weight loss.
*J PharmacolPharmacother. 2012 Apr-Jun; 3(2): 149–155. Hepatoprotective activities of picroliv, curcumin, and ellagic acid compared to silymarin on carbon-tetrachloride-induced liver toxicity in mice
*Alappat L, Awad A. Curcumin and obesity: evidence and mechanisms. Nutrition Reviews [serial online]. December 2010;68(12):729-738. Available from: SPORTDiscus with Full Text, Ipswich, MA. Accessed June 29, 2012.
PicrorhizaKurroa(100:1 root extract in patented form: Picroliv)
- *Patented form of PicrorhizaKurroa that is potent and protects liver.
- Important herb in the traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic systems of medicine, used to treat liver conditions.
- *May help lower blood sugar levels
- *Supports weight loss by boosting overall detoxification efforts
- Acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory agent in the body.
- *In clinical studies, it is shown to protect against toxic liver injury which in turn can help aid in weight loss.
J PharmacolPharmacother. 2012 Apr-Jun; 3(2): 149–155. Hepatoprotective activities of picroliv, curcumin, and ellagic acid compared to silymarin on carbon-tetrachloride-induced liver toxicity in mice. C. Girish and S. C. Pradhan1
Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2009 Sep;10(6):641-9. Epub 2009 Sep 1. Pharmacology and chemistry of a potent hepatoprotective compound Picroliv isolated from the roots and rhizomes of Picrorhizakurroaroyle ex benth. (kutki). Verma PC, Basu V, Gupta V, Saxena G, Rahman LU.
National Botanical Research Institute (CSIR), RanaPratapMarg, Lucknow 226001 (UP), India.
Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Helps convert glucose to energy more efficiently so it may be
used for blood sugar regulation.
- Required for the body to produce energy
- Potent anti-oxidant that also recycles other anti-oxidants such
as Vitamin C and Glutathione
- Promotes liver cell regeneration
*Alpha-lipoic acid supplementation: a tool for obesity therapy, Carbonelli MG, et al, Curr Pharm Des, 16(7):840-6, 2010